Friday, March 6, 2009

Just to see if I could...



Gentlemen, we appear to have wandered outside the genre into scary new lands!

Between ad-bouncing with Project Wonderful, webcomic top sites, link pages and a really unfortunate and embarrassing introduction to StumbleUpon, I saw the front page of a lot of webcomics today. Ye god, make the manga stop! If it wasn't elves, it was canine chicks kicking ass. Sometimes it was with a spear, sometimes with a lightsaber - and no slaying was happening with punchlines. This is the stuff that is popular, I guess.

All I know is I no longer trust any comic that exists in full-page format. Comic STRIPS are nice in that they force the cartoonist to put a punchline (or at least something of merit) in each update. Serials, while possibly awesome in the long run, tend to have lots of strips where everyone is indiscriminately punching or traveling in silence so as to establish atmosphere.

Now, I am not opposed to fantasy stories or serializes stories in any ways - heck, if I could draw like that I'd probably have one of my own - but it's not what interests me right now. Why do I keep running into them if I'm not interested? Because I'm following the ART in banners and thumbnails. It is sadly rare when good art meets intriguing store, and even rarer when that story is one that intersects with YOUR tastes.

This vulnerable warrior doggy is my response to a very soul-draining day. It's not *too* bad, but I'm just not comfortable with the "drama furry" forms. "Comedy furry" is so much better!

On the comic front, I am indeed keeping my vow to get two strips done a day - and this is only counting coloring. I got four strips inked today, for example. If I can keep up this pace I'll be able to breathe again real soon.

2 comments:

Applejinx said...

For somebody who resists furry fanservice, you sure are good at it ;)

also- first blog comment! This could totally save me the trouble of having a blog of my own :D

Christopher J Paulsen said...

Don't get your hopes up. I'm not looking to furbid quite yet. ;-)

Glad you made it over here. Also, isn't twitter like a blog with even less focus and no attention span?