Thursday, September 17, 2009

A primary concern


In today's episode of "When Paintings Go Wrong" we feature this chaotic mishap. Have I wrecked what was once a promising start, or does TRULY REFLECT my dental disaster influence as intended?

I think it all went wrong when I chose to use primaries as my color scheme. I don't work well with 'em. Specifically, I don't work well with YELLOW. Once I go that route, I eliminate a lot of color harmony. It doesn't mesh well with my favorite light blue violet, and when combined with red oxide (another fav) it makes the painting looks too Washington Redskins. I think if I went back and painted over all the yellow with pistachio. it would look significantly better. You know what? I *have* Photoshop. I can test it out there. LET'S DO THAT!



You know, my theory was right. Next step: ATTACK OF PISTACHIO! (What's really depressing is that Photoshop's color range tool made me realize this thing would look really good in just black and white. Color is my enemy!)

That won't solve every problem, though. There's still the matter of "what goes in the white space?" and "what's sharp and what's loose?" facing me. I really like what's going on in the lower right and I'd like to spread it out to help differentiate between the main form and the supporting structure. Right now nothing really pops. That must be fixed.

I have a long way to go before this painting is serviceable, if it's possible at all, but all in all it wasn't a bad result for a day of agony. I'm just hoping the soreness is reduced when I wake up.

1 comment:

Al S. Romero said...

That is some pretty good painting skills. Color choice is always difficult, but makes anything seem well.