Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What also might have been



We're closing in on the end of the Precocious summer spectacular and I'm going through the requisite jitters about the ending. Along the way, I cut out what would amount to two weeks of stuff - and now I'm wondering it it means the ending is a bit abrupt.

So I set out to see if I could stretch it out another week. Well, not STRETCH - more like ENHANCE. I debated extending an interaction between Dionne and Suzette, and I even thought of throwing in a Vincent cameo for good measure.

Yeah, it didn't work. Or at least it's not working yet. The jokes aren't punchy and I'll need to plot a bit more if I want to use Vincent appropriately. As it stands, his official introduction is too oversimplified and pre-Flanderized. (It *is* pretty funny, though!)

One thing I worry about is putting too much out there and just dropping it. I'd be setting the table with Vincent when I *know* I probably won't be able to give him some solid attention until next year. The only way I can get away with a cast as large as the one I have is because I give them all enough attention to keep 'em around. Granted, the current joke with Vincent is that he's doomed to obscurity - so dropping him plays into that - but I'm not sure I'm ready to go meta with this gag just yet.

In the end, this will likely have been another creative exercise and nothing more. That's artistese for FAIL.

No comments: