Friday, February 6, 2009

An alternative to awkward teenagers

No, this isn't the intro to a Modest Proposal-type essay. (It totally should be, but isn't.) It's the sketch I planned to share instead of my teenager sketches. It is decidedly less interesting.

The big story here is that I drew IRISES in my cartoon eyes! It was a half-thinking impulse which resulted in me drawing eyes... and not knowing what to do with them. At first, I was leaning in the direction of drawing Tiffany (she gets cut from BOTH versions of the Friday blog. Burn!) but that plan went out the window when I absentmindedly drew a canine nose. Due to the subtle differences in my characters facial structures (I'm sure you remember that post from over a month ago) the nose placement limited me to one of my two collie characters. I went with Ms. Monster over Deirdre Linkletter because the face looked younger and thinner. It should be noted that, upon completion of this sketch, my next drawing ended up being a cute Deirdre who looked 10 years younger and 20 pounds lighter. I am not sharing that sketch, as this was not intentional but rather a result of me fucking up.

Anyway, it's a wonder to all that I managed to salvage such an ill-conceived venture and turn it into a minor texture study. Whoopee.

Aaaand, while we're covering uninteresting posts and my lack of discretion.... MUSIC UPDATE! I'm still fascinated by my random iTunes experiment. We have a new top and bottom song!

The new leader, reaching 8 plays before any other reached 7 and currently the only song at 9, is PJ Harvey's "A Place Called Home." It's another of my favorites, so I am pleased. PJ Harvey is usually more rough and funky, making songs that totally rock as Sophie Muller videos, but this song is rather beautiful and harmonious. It's the type of song that deserves a Michel Gondry video. Unfortunately Sophie Muller went ahead and did this one too, so the video sucked. As the title of the song indicates, she's musing that after a period of loneliness and hardship, "One day I know we'll find a place of hope. Just hold onto me... One day there'll be a place for us."

The new loser song is Natalie Merchant's "King of May," which sat at the one play mark with the former champ, Wilco's "I am Trying to Break Your Heart," for a long time. Last night Wilco got the second play, leaving "King of May" at the bottom. What's "King of May" about? It's a song about giving a dying old man one last hurrah before he passes. Even though he's probably gone into dementia and is just a shell of his former self, you should all "raise your voices up; lift your loving cups to his long life."

A lot of meaning to those random results...

...so what does it say that Alanis Morissette's "That I Would be Good" keeps starting just as I move to close iTunes?

No comments: