Sunday, May 29, 2011

Moving along with commissions

A few days have gone by since an update, so let's play catch-up! I'm trying not to fill this blog with "I'm working on comics!" posts, because... duh, I run a daily. I'm ALWAYS working on comics.

The downside, of course, is there's only one me and that means some days I really am only making comics. I must fix that, as commissions are building up again. (I guess my newly-adopted daily nap time could be spent doing more productive things.)

Anyway, enjoy a pic of my current projects. I'm still tweaking the painting, cursing the lack of opaqueness in my paints. On top of that, you might be able to make out a pair of Tiffany drawings, which is for another commission. On the light table, we have the early stage of the big watercolor project, in which I have to trace and color a double-sized strip.

I'm still working on finding a good comic/commission balance. While these projects sat for a few days, I did manage to knock out the rest of this city arc! Now I have to get my scripting hat on again - and not forget about the commission hat this time!

8 comments:

Iron Ed said...

Sounds like you're moving a long very nicely these days. Good job, Chris!

Colors look very nice on that Dionne/Autumn painting.

Codefox said...

So if someone was interested in your commissioning work...how would one go about getting a commission? ;)

Christopher J Paulsen said...

Send me an email (chrispco@yahoo.com) outlining your idea and we can talk about timetables and pricing and stuff.

Anonymous said...

Considering the amount of time involved, I would hope (as the buyer of the Dionne and Autumn painting) that the colors are nice (they are indeed). For the record, that painting was commissioned over a year ago (as I recall), but the wait is definitely worth it and not at all unexpected.

Chris is actually getting off fairly easy with the watercolor commission-enlarging the comic strip and copying to do some color tests to see what works best. The other commissions have been real tests of skill and imagination. For the record, my favorite commission is still the Linkletter family portrait-not only painting three characters in a very tight space, but reversing their ages by ten years.

DRB_II said...

If you think he's getting off easy with the double size copy and color (783, if I'm not mistaken. Tek, is that yours?), the Tiffany in the background is a single panel copy and color. I should know: that one's mine.

Anonymous said...

The strip is #783 and it is MINE! I am involved with public transit advocacy and operations, so I couldn't resist commissioning an original painting based on that strip.

Redrawing the strip probably isn't the easiest thing, but I doubt it will be quite as time consuming as designing last year's Mother's Day card. Don't know if Chris still has the projector.

What is the single panel Tiffany? Can't see it very well in the image. The idea of the Dionne and Autumn painting came right out of Chrispy's sketch books-serve's 'em right for posting it on the net.

DRB_II said...

Okay, so my Spidey-sense was a little off...

I'm not surprised you couldn't pick out Tiff there (frankly, I'm surprised I was able to pick out 783), but that's the fourth panel of 651. I love that bright-eyed enthusiasm, the headband with the croquet wicket is all kinds of adorable on top of Tiffany's inherent cuteness, and that melange of equipment she's carrying fits with my decor (bachelor disaster) perfectly. How could I not have that hanging on my wall?

Anonymous said...

Eh, Tiff has to work off her excess energy somehow. I've already floated another topic for an additional commission to Chris. If it works right, it will eclipse the School Uniform episode.