Saturday, January 10, 2009

The power of negative thinking!

Today I woke up with the plan to keep with the publicizing effort going. So far I've put the strip on a few lists... and hoped for divine intervention! I have to keep submitting the strip to portal sites, start socializing on message boards and - this is the scariest - write to web cartoonists I adore and see if I can get some advice/assistance. I feel like such a tool doing that, and I have no clue what to say. I'd likely send the email equivalent of "Duuuurrrrrrrrrr," and make a fool of myself.

Suddenly, playing around with color isn't so bad! That's just tedious. Tedious > Awkward!

After my bold declaration of not making Sunday strips, with the bold edit of not having a strip for THIS Sunday... I will have the strip ready for Sunday after all. Having lost complete control of myself, I went ahead an colorized Monday's strip as well. Color strips *do* look spiffy! Also, they mean strip creation takes twice as long. Also, if I colorize strips, I have to save each original in the hi-res form in case I'm ever cool enough to justify a published collection. Also, color strips make publishing costs go way up. Also, I am not getting paid for this. See, if that last issue is taken care of, all the others go away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool colors, and it does look quite spiffy. One question though: if you're not getting paid, why do you do this comic? And a question for myself: why do I slave on making my story updates every Saturday or Sunday? The answer: fans and reviews. :)

Christopher J Paulsen said...

Like all artists, I do the comic because otherwise I'd go completely insane without a method to purge ideas. (That is, if I'm not insane already.) Sanity is my only bargaining chip until I can win over fans, plural. ;-) One bonus: Spiffy colors might help get attention. Man, I haven't even thought of submitting the strip to review sites yet. There's so much to do when one starts to publicize!

Coloring is an interesting challenge. If I can find a way to justify 90 minutes a day to do it, it could be worthwhile. (This is where I mention the reason I can put so much work into the comic is because I'm currently an unemployed freeloader.. so what else am I doing?)