Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn!


As I am decidedly a novice, I must do some sketchwork for visually complex comics. This next one is the much-hyped seven character bonanza. The lesser-hyped double panel features these three giving Bud a "we'll fuck you up!" look, Autumn and Bud, sitting at the ends of the table, were omitted because I ran out of space in my sketchbook. This does not bode well for cramming the scene into a teeny tiny comic panel, even if it's a doublewide!

On a self-esteem-destroying note, I am currently watching episode 1 of The Wire. It is entirely engrossing, even though the cast is nothing but a muddled blur of attitude and that dude from Lost to me at this point. See, that's how you do it! Write a good episode that features all the characters, but let the context do the introductions! While my "pilot" plot is fantastic in involving all the main characters, I still choked and did the monologue intro thing that makes pilot episodes all clunky. How clunky is it? In the next few strips, I will have a panel featuring a map of the Sapphire Lake neighborhood, just so readers know where all my kids live relative to each other. At least it's AMBITIOUS clunkiness!

No comments: