Monday, July 13, 2009

A fine art interlude



While waiting for the ink to dry on some strips, I whipped out my sketchbook to try and draw today's blog entry. I intended to do Precocious stuff, but nothing was flowing. I felt like painting! But painting has a lot of prep and clean up! Forget it!

So I turned to colored pencil. I had been reminded of their existence because I spilled them earlier. It was kinda fun to just scribble away in the sketchbook, with no consequences. There was also something therapeutic about it. (I keep my pencils in a used up spiced pumpkin Yankee candle jar, so they smell great!)

The scan cut out all the lights (it's a preset that works great for comics and not so great for the rest) but you can still see what went on there. I had a fun time improvising, and I needed to get it out of my system.

Now, can I FINISH the inking I started?

1 comment:

Danny said...

Ooo, I like this sketch, though it reminds me more of a wheat field on a hill (at sunset). You know, I recently visited the Leopold Museum,, where they had an exhibit of Ergon Schiele, for his landscapes they had a photo of what he painted next to the paintings. It was rather interesting to see the 'metamorphosis' that the world went through when traveling into the artist's mind.